Page 1 of 1

Experience of a 26yo New Zealand-based male.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 am
by InfectedKiwi
I have been to 3 GPs in the past 2 years in my effort to obtain a diagnosis for my numerous symptoms. Since late-2016 I have been in hospital at least 10 times and visited my doctors countless times at a huge financial cost.

My symptoms for late 2016 were:

Reflux
Flank pain
Heartburn
Indigestion
Alternating constipation & diarrhea

I went to my GP numerous times, based in Green Island, Dunedin, and on not getting a satisfactory diagnosis after many visits there, I admitted myself to Dunedin public hospital after waking up in the night with excruciating flank pain and a feeling like my stomach and heart were going to explode.

My GP and the doctors at the hospital agreed it must be kidney stones but a scan and x-ray ruled that out. The symptoms eventually went away and that was the end of that saga.

Fast-forward to mid-2017 and I’m back at my new GP office and the hospital with a return of these symptoms with the addition of:

Ongoing nausea
Chronic constipation and diarrhea

Over several GP visits and hospitalisations I was subjected to many uncomfortable rectal examinations, an oral enema, laxative routines (sachets, tablets, powders etc), dietary changes, vitamin supplements (MVite pills) and an excercise plan.

I stuck to everything 100% but the symptoms never improved.

This back-and-forward between the GP and the hospital continued well into this year as well, with many new symptoms, blood, urine, stool tests and X-rays “ruling out” a massive list of mis-diagnosis made by multiple doctors including:

IBD
GERD
Chron’s
Gall Stones
Kidney Stones
Thyroid issues
Celiac disease
Glandular fever

In the end my GP just kind of gave up and settled on IBS as a default. We wasted time trying multiple, expensive diets and foods that either didn’t help or actually exasperated the problems.

It wasn’t until I started having black poo that my GP started re-engaging with my properly and made an effort again. However, the emergence of a

Re: Experience of a 26yo New Zealand-based male.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:57 am
by Helico_expert
Hi, your story wasnt finished. So were you diagnosed with H. pylori in the end?

Re: Experience of a 26yo New Zealand-based male.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2026 5:49 pm
by bevis0405
I am currently suffering from acid reflux. It's causing me a lot of discomfort, FNF and my child is coughing more when lying down. I hope there is a cure for this.

Re: Experience of a 26yo New Zealand-based male.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2026 9:55 am
by liamhellen55
Sorry to hear that. Acid reflux is miserable. If you haven't already, it might be worth asking your doctor about an H. pylori test. Hope you feel better soon.age of war