Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

RUT: positive or negative?

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderator: barjammar

Sajal

RUT: positive or negative?

Post by Sajal »

I have had an endoscopy yesterday around 3 pm. My GI saw the results (RUT dry test) around 6:30 pm: It was negative at the time thus my GI confirmed eradication. However, today, I saw it at around 12 pm( almost after 21 hours from test) and it has turned positive.
I don't know what does it mean. I have read that normally it takes 3 hours to show the results. But there is something which is called an interval time which is of 24 hours.

Can RUT give a positive result after 20-21 hours from test?
What do I consider it? Positive or negative?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: RUT: positive or negative?

Post by Helico_expert »

hmmm... interesting result. These dry RUT, usually turn negative after long period of time. I wonder why it turns positive after 20 hrs.

Nevertheless, I assume the endoscopy did not see anything else abnormal. So that's a good sign.

If you are doubtful of the RUT result, you can get another breath test done.

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

My GI and I have seen the it at around 3 hours from the test and it was negative at the time. The next I saw it was around 20 hours and it has turned positive by then, but I don't know when exactly it had turned positive.

I consulted my GI upon the same. He says normally it turns positive within twenty minutes or at maximum one to three hours. According to him, there might be very tiny load of bacteria present and thus he wants me to start ppis for now.

The last endoscopy I have had(april'2019) revealed mild gastritis and mild duodenitis and RUT was negative for h pylori. However, even the last time my GI had taken the decision after observing for 3 hours only and then thrown away the slide.

Now after three and half months after that–despite the fact that I was declared neagtive for h pylori– I have developed erosions in my duodenum(revealed by the endoscopy). Moreover my antrum inflammation persist as it is. Is it not suggesting that I still carry these bugs?( I have completed my antibiotics course 5 and half months back)

Also, my symptoms though lessened have not subsided.

I have following questions:
1) what is the maximum time for observation for dry RUT? Is it common to turn positive after three hours?
2) Should I take another course of antibiotics or just start taking ppis again?

PS- the only options to check for h pylori available here is RUT. No breath test, histology, and culture of h pylori. Stool test is not considered reliable here.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

20 min after biopsy on dry RUT make sense. three hrs to me, is a bit too long. But it will have to go back to the manufacturer manual. They must have done the experiment.

Since there is no other test available, perhaps you just need to rely on PPI for now. You can repeat the endoscopy 1 year later. There are many brands of PPI, if you find your current PPI not useful, can try switch to other PPI such as rabeprazole.

chetanvenki

Post by chetanvenki »

My RUT turned positive just before 24 hours. Within initial half an hour, it was mostly yellow (negative) and started changing color very mildly. MY GI told me it could take upto 24 hours to change color. But later my UBT was tested positive after ABX therapy.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

i am not sure which RUT brand you used, but i would think anything over 1 hr is unreliable. Nevertheless, it's unusual that your RUT is negative and later getting a UBT positive result. I wonder how positive is your UBT positive result.

chetanvenki

Post by chetanvenki »

Brand was RUT Dry Test, check below
https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/ru ... 50448.html

this article reads result can take upto 24 hrs
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4293486/

My UBT was ammonia based method, not typical C14 type. It just shows positive or negative without much quantifying, plz check below link
https://www.news-medical.net/HELIC-Ammo ... r-from-AMA

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Most will turn positive within 120 to 180 minutes but it is best to hold those that appear negative for 24 hours (22,23). After 24 hours the test may turn positive from the presence non-H. pylori urease containing organisms (24).
Personally, I think any RUT that takes more than 1 hr is most probably false positives.

H. pylori reacts with the urea substrate very quickly. Usually you can see the RUT results within 30 min.

However, you can get a false negative from RUT when
1. you have very little H. pylori load (usually happened after antibiotics treatment)
2. you have very low acid level (usually happen after taking PPI).

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

Just a little updat: I have conducted a (HELIC) Ammonia breath test today and the result showed negative.

Base reading( without taking urea load) - 0 mm
Reading after taking the load - 2mm
Length difference - 2mm
Result interpretation - negative
Cutoff value - 3mm

I have three follow up tests now after completing standard triple therapy on march 4, 2019.
1) RUT in april 19 - negative (the observation of dry rut was three hours)
2) RUT in july - negative after observing for three hours ( it had turned positive when I saw it after around 20 hours from the test.
3) Helic ammonia breath test today - negative.

My symptoms have not subsided and I have too much acidity. Any suggestions?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

most importantly is that you do not have H. pylori now, and so your situation is less likely to get worse.

your symptoms most likely due to the damage done by H. pylori. The recovery is subject to individual's healing ability. Usually younger people heal faster than the elderly.

Give yourself some time to heal. you can control and acid related symptoms by taking PPI (eg. rabeprazole) or H2 blockers (ranitidine).

or you can try some probiotics or natural herbs.

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing 检测与实验”