Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Second line therapy

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderator: barjammar

antanasm

Second line therapy

Post by antanasm »

Hi,

I was diagnosed with H-pylori in very interesting way. Blood was negative, biopsy was border line, but stool antigen was very highly positive.
My main complains are stomach pain which started 4 month ago.

1 week ago, I finished first antibiotic treatment, but problem i made few mistakes. I was on 12 day treatment.

omeprazole
20 mg once a day(must be twice) ,7 days out of 12. First 5 days was not on it at all.

clarithromycin
500 mg once a day. Now i know that it should be twice a day

amoxycillin
1,000 mg twice a day. This one was correct.

My stomach pain reduced dramatically during treatment and i was very happy. But now, 1 week after, stomach pain is coming back, feel again stomach acid. In general i little better now, then before treatment.

Don't now what to do. Run a breath test? If positive, repeat first one, because i didn't made correctly?
Or do different antibiotics treatment like:

Colloidal bismuth subcitrate
One tablet (120 mg) QID
14 days

metronidazole
250 mg QID
7 days

tetracycline
500 mg QID
7 days

omeprazole
20 mg BID
7 days

Problem is, that in Lithuania we don't have tetracycline, only it derivative doxycycline.
Thanks for help

BR
Antanas

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Second line therapy

Post by Helico_expert »

it's common that people feel the discomfort after treatment. it takes time for the stomach to recover back to normal even though there is no bacteria. Nevertheless, you should stop your PPI for at least 3 weeks then do a followup breath test.

if you are positive then, should not take the same antibiotics. discuss with your GP and see what's the best 2nd line available at your area.

antanasm

Post by antanasm »

Thank's for answer, but to be informed patient - tetracycline is the same doxycycline? Or tetracycline is tetracycline ? :)

Antanas

antanasm

Post by antanasm »

one more question:

If i would go for breath test(after last PPI dose) after 2 weeks(not 3 weeks) and would get positive result.
Does it mean, i have bacteria and its not necessary to wait 3 weeks?. My stomach pain is so unpleasant and would like to test and do some treatment faster.

Antanas

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

to my understanding, tetracycline is a big family that include doxycycline.

if two weeks later you did another breath test and turns out positive, then it'll be positive. But I think the chance is you getting borderline positive. Then it's inconclusive if you are still infected with H. pylori. It's not good to take antibiotic blindly as it'll only build up resistance of other bacteria. I would suggest you follow the guide and wait for 3 weeks after stopping your last dose of PPI. Perhaps you'll feel better next week as your stomach is slowly recovering.

barjammar
Site Admin

Re: Second line therapy (IS TETRACYCLINE SAME AS DOXYCYCLINE

Post by barjammar »

Re: Second line therapy (IS TETRACYCLINE THE SAME AS DOXYCYCLINE??)
I just want to interrupt the conversation on the issue above. Although in the same group, and with identical effects in vitro, these two antibiotics work differently in humans with H.pylori. The tetracycline persists in the stomach for a longer time and probably chelates with a lot of material in the mucus layer - e.g. bismuth/PeptoBismol/DeNol. So it is a useful topical agent. Also, Hpylori only very rarely becomes resistant to it ( <1% of post treatment isolates ). Docycycline on the other hand, is very quickly absorbed so that it is not physically present in the stomach for very long. Doxycycline relies on excretion in bile and biliary recycling to give it a long action - that is why it can be a once-a-day drug. Some people have free bile reflux up from the duodenum into the stomach, in which case doxy'would be OK. However, in most people, doxy'is going to act in the intestine - and will not act in the stomach for more than an hour - or if taken with a meal - for a few hours. There no direct comparisons between the two agents but I know of some studies where doxy'failed to work.
In Australia, tetracycline can be obtained as an órphan drug' from Tri-Med ( http://www.trimed.com.au. Maybe they can send overseas - I am not sure.
8-)
Check the link below for information on hard-to-treat cases. Then search the forums for questions and answers similar to yours.
docs/200808%20stenstrom%20Hp%20Treatment.pdf

sl88er

Post by sl88er »

If some coated tablets of tetracycline hcl are proper for eradication of HP you can cheaply obtain them in Poland. Yours prescribtion will be valid in polish drugs store. Cost is about 4 € for 16 tablets 250mg... So I think it is quite inexpensive.

antanasm

Post by antanasm »

Hi,

Thanks for replay. Is every drug store have tetracycline in Poland ?:) I live ~100km from Poland, so its not a problem to go there and buy it.
Have you been on tetracycline?
sl88er wrote:If some coated tablets of tetracycline hcl are proper for eradication of HP you can cheaply obtain them in Poland. Yours prescribtion will be valid in polish drugs store. Cost is about 4 € for 16 tablets 250mg... So I think it is quite inexpensive.

antanasm

Post by antanasm »

I done breath pylori test today. It was 16th day after my last PPI and antibiotics.
Baseline was 1mm, after drink - 10mm. Its positive.

GP recommend for 6 week 20mg omeprozole for stomach pain. She want to repeat breath test 2 month later.
I was told if omeprozole calm stomach(no symptoms) and breath test will show decreasing pylori activity then no need to repeat antibiotics treatment.

I read that PPI and other stomach reducing medicine give better environment for pylori to grow? Is it true?

She also said, if i will need repeat treatment, i must take amoxycillin, but change clarithromycin to metronidazole.

In general, i agree, that i could wait with antibiotics treatment. give a time for probiotics to restore gut flora and so on.
but i don't believe i will feel better with pylori. I have never had stomach or acid problems at all,
and suddenly i got GERD and stomach pain.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

H. pylori actually multiply at a neutral pH. so is PPI going to help H. pylori grow? maybe. but it's also allowing all other bacteria to grow in the stomach. H. pylori probably will be out compete.

your GP is right about the clarithromycin switching to metronidazole. that's the standard treatment. if it fail, then we try for other methods.

H. pylori is the root of your problem. So I believe that eradicating it is the right way.

Return to “Treatment for Helicobacter 幽门螺杆菌治疗”