Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Help: 2nd Treatment also failed, scared of taking antibiotics

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderator: barjammar

XXQQ

Help: 2nd Treatment also failed, scared of taking antibiotics

Post by XXQQ »

Hi,

I am originally from China and living in UK now. I have gastritis symptoms for years and recently got much worse. I have tried the triple therapy of Clarithromycin,Metronidazole, Omeprazole twice 2 years ago and this year, but both failed. I know it is not good to repeat Clarithromycin and Metronidazole now but my GP just didn't really care...

Now the doctor gave me Metronidazole, Ciprofloxacin and ranitidine for the 3rd treatment. But I just do not trust them anymore so I haven't started yet. I did an endoscopy last week and still wait for the biopsy result along with the sensitivity test result. I haven't done any breath test yet but I suppose I have very high h.Pylori level in my stomach.

Even worse, I may have Penicillin allergy (I had red rash when taking tablets when I was little, but I am fine to be ingested). So I may not be able to be treated by Amoxicillin.

I have heard about Metronidazole resistance may be overcome by bismuth? And people who have penicillin allergy can take some treatment to overcome it?

I really hope h.p expert can give me some advice. I am eager to hear from you. Thank you so much!

Regards,

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Help: 2nd Treatment also failed, scared of taking antibiotics

Post by Helico_expert »

It is not good to repeat the same antibiotics.

So your strain is most likely resistant to Clarithromycin and Metronidazole.

It is true that metronidazole resistance can be overcome, but so far only have data from Tetracycline and not yet from bismuth.

Nevertheless, it is probably not a good idea to try metronidazole again.

we should wait for the antibiotic susceptibility test result. Many Chinese are also carry HP strain resistant to ciprofloxacin.

XXQQ

Post by XXQQ »

Hi h.p expert,

Thank you for your reply.

Today I checked with my GP and he got the result from hospital of my biopsy: They cannot isolate h.p from my stomach and duodenal biopsies. And they did not diagnose any gastritis or inflammation.

However, about three months ago (September), my stool sample did show positive, which was 3 months later after my second eradication treatment this year(beginning of June).

I am really confused now, although my GP said the stool sample result may be false positive. However, I do have symptoms all the time every day for months, except the period when I had the antibiotics.

I would like to know your opinion.

Kind regards,

Helico_expert wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:21 am
It is not good to repeat the same antibiotics.

So your strain is most likely resistant to Clarithromycin and Metronidazole.

It is true that metronidazole resistance can be overcome, but so far only have data from Tetracycline and not yet from bismuth.

Nevertheless, it is probably not a good idea to try metronidazole again.

we should wait for the antibiotic susceptibility test result. Many Chinese are also carry HP strain resistant to ciprofloxacin.

XXQQ

Post by XXQQ »

By the way, I am taking Lansoprazole 60mg every day for more than 3 months now. Maybe it is a reason that causes they cannot isolate h.pylori from my biopsy?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

yup. PPI can lower the stomach acid and other bacteria can grow. These contaminants will compete with H. pylori for nutrient and so H. pylori's number will reduce. So that increases the challenge for the laboratory to pick up H. pylori from a mixture of contaminants.

Nevertheless, what did the histology report say? no inflammation? That could mean no more H. pylori?

XXQQ

Post by XXQQ »

Hi expert,

Hope you had a good day.

Now I think it is definitely false negative. I did not stop the ppi for two weeks in advance because my endoscopy was scheduled as an emergency. I am also taking probiotics every day so it may make it even more difficult for the lab.

However, if the H.pylori's number reduces, does it mean it is a good thing? Or it doesn't really matter about the amount if they are still there XD
My GP said the lab did not find inflammation or gastritis, just normal upper tract (Although i am in pain sometimes and bloating all the time, feeling full very easily while still hungry, belching a lot...). I doubt British NHS endoscopy is not very detailed :{

Therefore I will go to a H.pylori lab in a hospital in China early next year and do the endoscopy along with culture test again. By then I will let you know the result and hopefully can get more advice from you.

By the way, I really appreciate that you can talk to me. GP is too general to discuss specific issues. They cannot really understand my frustration.

Many thanks,

Helico_expert wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:40 am
yup. PPI can lower the stomach acid and other bacteria can grow. These contaminants will compete with H. pylori for nutrient and so H. pylori's number will reduce. So that increases the challenge for the laboratory to pick up H. pylori from a mixture of contaminants.

Nevertheless, what did the histology report say? no inflammation? That could mean no more H. pylori?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

It is actually the inflammation that is doing you the harm.

So, even if H. pylori is in low number, the inflammation will not go away and continue causing damage to your stomach lining.

If your doctor said that there is no inflammation and you indeed have H. pylori, perhaps you need to check your immune system. If you had vaccinated yourself before, try check if the antibody is still active.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms 疾病与症状”