Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Worried about my H.Plyori testing

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderator: barjammar

james2183

Worried about my H.Plyori testing

Post by james2183 »

Started to get bad stomach ache at the end of last year along with some loose stools. After a few doctors appointments (involving blood tests and stool tests) I was diagnosed with h.pylori through a breath test and given a weeks worth of antibiotics and 3 weeks worth of PPIs. Upon taking these my stomach felt better until about a week or so after stopping them, then my stomach ache began to return. Went back to the doctors around 3 weeks later where they prescribed me more PPIs – once again stopping the pain until a week or so after finishing them before beginning to return. I returned (again) to the doctors, demanding more answers as the pain this time has started to appear in the back and a little further up, where they told me I should have been retested for plyori, but because I had been on PPIs I had to wait a month before I could be tested – in the meantime prescribing me ranitidine to cope with the pain and one that doesn’t interfere the test. The only plus side is that my stools have gone back to normal.

I had my retest done last week, but have to wait another week for the results. However, over the past 24 hours my stomach has been pretty bad – lots of aching and throbbing just below the left ribs which has been discomforting when sitting or stretching. With this going on for so long my anxiety has got really high as I’m worried it’s something really bad – like stomach cancer.

My questions:
Wouldn’t my blood tests have picked up on h plyori before the breath test?
Can you get a false positive for h.plyori?
Don’t the large majority of people on the planet have h.plyori, so could these symptoms and tests be hiding something more serious like SC instead?
If it is a correct positive, could the h plyori have caused stomach cancer?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Worried about my H.Plyori testing

Post by Helico_expert »

Blood test cannot tell you if you still have HP. Because your immune system has memory of HP and your blood test will continue to show positive results with or without HP for the next few months or years.

Hp is a very chronic infection. You don’t get gastric cancer that quick. Age and diet are also risk factors of gastric cancer. I’d you are worried, you should ask for an endoscopy examination.

No test is 100%. So there will always be false positive or false negatives. But breath test and stool test are both very accurate. You should talk to your doctor about it and he should be experienced enough to know if the results are trustable.

Looking forward to seeing your breath test result. You can go back to PPI now if you have not done so.

james2183

Post by james2183 »

Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:38 pm
Blood test cannot tell you if you still have HP. Because your immune system has memory of HP and your blood test will continue to show positive results with or without HP for the next few months or years.
Sorry, what I meant was that before I was given the breath test I'm confused why my blood tests I had didn't pick up on the HP. My blood work was negative before the breath test that was positive.
Hp is a very chronic infection. You don’t get gastric cancer that quick. Age and diet are also risk factors of gastric cancer. I’d you are worried, you should ask for an endoscopy examination.
I guess my health anxiety is kicking in because this has been going on for so long. I'm 35 and eat ok, so not in the bracket just yet where it's more likely, but it still plays on my mind.
No test is 100%. So there will always be false positive or false negatives. But breath test and stool test are both very accurate. You should talk to your doctor about it and he should be experienced enough to know if the results are trustable.
That's my concern, I'm a little worried about my doctors as it took 3 different doctors before I was sent for a breath test to be diagnosed with h plyori and then none of them even suggested being retested - instead just giving me more PPIs. It wasn't until I tried to buy Nexium over the counter that the pharmacist said I should have been retested.
Looking forward to seeing your breath test result. You can go back to PPI now if you have not done so.
I'd like to go back to the PPI, but I'm worried my doctors will have messed up my results and I'd have to get them redone - which would then take another month because I'd have been on the PPI.

If I do go back on them, do I take them instead of the ranitidine, or can I take both at the same time?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

as i explained, blood test will show you history of infection. Therefore, a positive blood test can either mean you have H. pylori now, or you have H. pylori within the last 3 years.

A negative blood test result would mean you do not have H. pylori now.

therefore, your breath test result became very suspicious. I think you need to get another test done to make sure your breath test is accurate. by the way, a borderline positive is also not acceptable.

Anyway, we shall wait for your breath test result.

Ranitidine and PPI can be taken together. However, you will still have to stop for 4 weeks before the subsequent breath test if you are taking PPI.

james2183

Post by james2183 »

Hey, thanks for you reply. So I got my test results back today and they've come back negative - which is now scaring me. I am now apparently free of plyori but still have stomach and back ache. This is freaking me out.

Also - RE: Blood tests. I think I may have got confused. Do you have to specifically test for h.plyori in a blood sample, or will it show up on a standard blood count? I had a full blood count done at the doctors, that came back negative, but it wasn't until the breath test that I was found to have HP.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

it sounds like your recent breath test is negative, that's all you need to know for now.

What you need to do is to follow the doctors instruction, take the PPI for a month or so.. until you are better.

Normally people catch H. pylori at very young age. So you can imagine H. pylori has been in you all the time for decades. The damage may take some time to recover.

I think age 35 is still very young. High chance of returning to normal.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms 疾病与症状”